Family Pic Sept 2015

Family Pic Sept 2015

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Bahamian Paradise: When Pigs Swim.

When we went on our honeymoon, we were pretty cheap and boring and didn't bother to do any of the off resort excursions.  Well, you live and learn and that was something we intended to change this time around.  I told Joel to pick whatever excursion he wanted and I would be happy and excited to do it.  He settled on an "Ocean Safari" (for the low, low price of $175 per person....GULP....this better be good!)!  

So on Monday, day 3, we boarded a bus with 6 other couples and drove about 30 minutes from the resort to catch our "safari" boat.



We took off and approximately 30 seconds in, it started to rain.  But, never fear!  About 10 minutes later the rain moved on (or we drove out of it.... whatever.... it stopped).  The views were absolutely breathtaking.






The first stop on our "safari" was to a small island that is inhabited by "wild," swimming pigs.  I say "wild" because I personally think that these pigs are practically the pets of the people operating the "safari" tour.  You see, there is no fresh water on this little island so the tour guides brought 5 gallon buckets of water along.  This was in addition to the hot dogs they brought for us to feed the pigs (and yes, it was COMPLETELY lost on me in the moment, that I was feeding HOT DOGS to PIGS - kinda makes me sick now).  

So we pull up to the island and the tour guide, Justin, rings a cow bell.  Next thing you know, this whole troop of piggies come trotting out to the water.


Then, the piggies jump in the water and start swimming over to our boat.


And Justin and his Dad start throwing hot dog buns and hot dogs at them which they greedily chomp up.


And then, we all jump in the water and "swim" with the piggies!  The water was only about 3 feet deep so we weren't actually swimming, but kind of running away from pigs who thought our fingers might be hot dogs.  So Justin starts throwing hot dogs at us for us to then feed to pigs.  It was a little bit frightening, let me tell ya, to put that hot dog toward a pig's mouth.  


I'm laughing and feeding pigs left and right, all the while trying to make sure that all the pigs are in my line of sight at any given time.  I'm reaching out feeding a piggy in front of me and one snuck up behind me, presumably pissed that she wasn't the intended recipient of the hot dog in my hand, and she BIT me on the back of my elbow!

I freaked out.  Freaked. Out.  Screamed like a little girl and immediately began checking for blood.  Fortunately, that piggy bite didn't break the skin - just left a nasty bruise.  Whew.  No crazy swine disease for me!

While we were all busy swimming with these piggies, Justin went to the shore to feed the baby piggies.  Apparently, you have to feed them while the big piggies are otherwise engaged or the big piggies get aggressive.  Uh yeah, I can attest to that!

Then we went to shore to see the little piggies.



 

After the piggy island, we got back on the boat and headed to the next stop which was just a nice little island beach.  The Exuma Islands, according to our tour guides, are on the boarder between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.  Depending on which way the tide is going, you could get some pretty spectacular geysers flowing up through these rocks on this beach.  We saw ~10 foot geysers, but Justin said they could go as much as 50 ft depending on the tides.




 We also took a moment to enjoy a beverage on the beach.  There were three main beers that were readily available.  Sands.  Sands Light.  And Kalik.  Joel and I didn't much care for any of them.  


After that beach, we headed to another little island where you could climb up a little ways and have a really nice view.





The next stop on our safari was to the Island of the Endangered Iguanas.  These animals I believe to at least be slightly more "wild" in that they live on a island that does have fresh water so they aren't nearly as dependent on the tour groups to show up to take care of them.  But we did spoil them with grapes which they swallowed whole.








The final stop on the tour was to do a little snorkeling which was the main activity that Joel was interested in.  I gave it a shot and lasted approximately 6 minutes before I couldn't take the salt water in my mouth, up my nose and in my eyes.  So I went back to the boat and hung out with the other anti-snorkelers.  Joel really digs the snorkeling and he saw some interesting fish during this trip.

That night, we went to Il Cielo, the Italian restaurant, for dinner.  Joel had two lobster tails and I had mahi mahi which is my favorite fish.  Both of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals.




This restaurant had a "dessert bar" which was essentially a little room off the main dining room where you went to order your dessert.  I had chocolate lava cake and Joel had tiramisu.



Next Up:  Allergic to the Sun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment